Saturday, August 4, 2012

Letter to Me

This morning I found an envelope while looking for some art pieces I made in high school, it was hidden behind a box kept on top of a shelf inside the closet in my bedroom. I immediately knew what it was when I saw the outside. It was a letter I had written to myself last year, right before I moved to college. On the front it had been addressed to "Future Me". There was also written in huge letters "DO NOT OPEN, You'll Know When To". I had forgotten all about this, I don't even remember what things I written inside for myself. All I do remember was what had inspired me to this, a song. Angela Aki's Tegami. Yeah, I was still such a sentimental freak even after high school.

I opened it up and read the letter inside. It was dated 8/31/2011, it has not been a full year yet. I wrote a bit sloppy but it was readable. Reading it made me smile. I seem like such a positive person, I must have been being so happy and excited for college. In the letter I didn't spend so much time talking about how I was at the time, I spent it more predicting things and giving my future self advice. How both wrong and right I was at certain things. I would respond to her this way.
8/4/2012
Dear 18 year old me,
      You wouldn't believe this but life hasn't changed so much. You wanted to know what I've achieved, well I've found it. I've found what I most want in life. I knew months ago, yep that means you'll find out sooner then you think. 
      Irvine is a beautiful place. The first year of college wasn't too bad, I didn't have as much fun as you thought though. You'll meet many friendly people and you'll get along great with both your roommates. You'll even get some friends from around the world, one whom you'll fall in love with.  
      That's right you'll be dating someone, just one but he's someone you'll want to be with forever. He'll change your life in so many ways, now he's my happiness and the thing I want most in life. 
                                                                                               With Love,
                                                                                                                    19y9m Me 
P.S. Yes you're still clean. -_-

I wanted to share a related song, it's in my native language Hmong. The song's title is Letter by Maa Vue. Translations are below.

Kuv yuav sau ib tsab ntawv khaws cia
I will write a letter to keep
Thaum txog caij koj mam li nyeem
You may read it when it's time
20 xyoo dhau tso koj mam nkag siab
In 20 years you will understand
hauv tsab ntawv txhua yam kuv tau hais
Everything I have written in this letter

Thov kom koj ua lub siab khov
Please stay strong
Tsis txob mus mloog luag tej hais mog
Don’t listen to what others have to say
Koj yog ib tug neeg muaj lub siab dawb hu
You are a pure hearted person
Yog ib tug neeg zoo nkauj rau kuv
A person who is very beautiful to me

Kuv yeej paub tias lub sijhawm yeej nyuaj rau koj
I know that time's been hard on you
Kuv ntseeg tau tias koj yuav mus dhau ib hnub xwb mog
I believe that one day you will overcome it all
Thov kom tus neeg koj mus yog tom ntev no
I hope that the person you have become
Zoo tshaj tug neeg koj ib txwm yog
Is someone better than the person you were before
Zoo tshaj kuv nawb mog
Better than me
Thov kom tej kev npau sua muaj tseeb rau koj
I wish that all your dreams came true
Luag ntxim tag mus li
That you're always smiling

Txhua yam kuv tau sau no yog vim
Everything I have written here is because
Kuv xav pom koj zoo siab xwb
I want to see you happy
Kuv xav pom koj zoo siab xwb
I want to see you happy
Sau npe tus neeg koj ib twm yog 20 xyoo tag los
Written, the person you were 20 years ago

Updated 8/7. Thank you dear for your suggestions and input in improving my blog. I love you <3


Another update 10/22. Hey A. Just to let you know, I didn't show you the right letter. I do still have it with me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment